What is the difference between UPS Mail Innovations and UPS SurePost?
The main difference between UPS Mail Innovations and UPS SurePost is their specialty in the types of packages they process.
UPS Mail Innovations - best for smaller and lighter packages that weigh less than one pound.
UPS SurePost - best for heavier packages within the 2-20 pound range.
This boils down to the kind of supported package types used by both. Both services have different package types that have differing regulations, weight limits, dimensional limits, and maybe even contractual requirements.
Mail Innovations supports:
- Flat Mail: 1 ounce – 15.99 ounces. Typically used for booklets, magazines, etc.
- Bound Printed Material: 1 lb. – 15 lbs. Typically used for books, catalogs, etc.
- Less than 1 lb. Parcels: 1 ounce – 15.99 ounces. Typically used for lightweight oddly-shaped items, like CDs, clothing, poster tubes, etc.
- Media Mail: 1 lb. – 70 lbs. Must not exceed 108” in total dimensions (Length * twice width * twice height) and is restricted to certain types of packages such as binders, films, medical binders.
- SurePost Less than 1 lb.: 1 ounce – 15.9 ounces. Package dimensions cannot exceed 130” (Length * twice width * twice height).
- SurePost 1lb. or Greater: 1 lb. – 70 lbs. Package dimensions cannot exceed 130”
- SurePost Bound Printed Matter: 0.05kg – 15 lbs. Restricted to books and printed material. Requires a SurePost Bound Printed Matter contract in addition to SurePost contract
- SurePost Media: 0.45 kg. – 70 lbs. Restricted to specific items such as binders, films, medical binders. Requires a SurePost Media contract in addition to a SurePost contract
EasyPost supports UPS Mail Innovations only at this time. If you’d like to see SurePost support, contact us and let us know.